Sunday, August 15, 2010

"California Gurls"

Yes I did mean to spell "Gurls" that way, it's a shout out to the Katy Perry song "California Gurls."

 Here is my tribute to Trina Turk. I have a huge obsession with Trina Turk clothing! I feel a special connection to this designer in particular. Maybe it's that we are both 'California Girls', both born and raised in the beautiful golden state. Or, that Trina was also raised in Seattle, WA, (where my mom grew up) and where my family and I have a home and spend/and have always spent our summers. How ironic! I just can't get enough! The Trina Turk style features one-of-a kind patterns and bright colors. It's just me portrayed through clothing...haha. This contemporary fashion line is inspired by the multicultural mix, architecture, and landscape of Los Angeles and California. One of my favorite places to go for a weekend getaway, and a place my family and I would vacation to frequently growing up is, Palm Springs, California. For us "Los Angelenos" it's just a 3 hour drive to this (what I like to call) Paradise. Trina has drawn constant inspiration from the cocktail party and poolside lifestyle of the desert, so it was fitting that the first Trina Turk boutique opened in March 2002 in Palm Springs. When I am back home in California and my mom and I visit the Newport Beach Fashion Island Boutique...it's never a good thing. I mean it is and it isn't, as far as, the wallet is concerned.


TT Herself

 What you are probably wondering is how this fits into the theme of my interior, and exterior tips and trends design blog. Well....as if her clothes didn't have me already, in May 2008 Trina Turk residential opened. As if, the bond between Trina and I wasn't close enough, it was even more after this! In Spring 2009 Trina launched a line of indoor/outdoor fabrics with the up-scale home furnishing manufacturer, Schumacher.  Not only was I obsessed with her clothing, but now I had to be infatuated with her fabrics as well, and it's easy to do because they are incredible!

Here is a look at Trina Turk Residential:






Check out some of my favorite Trina Turk pillows pillow collection


Here's a secret, I heard that there are plans of a Trina Turk Bedding collection. That would be amazing! I will be the first in line to snag one of those.

Trina Turk Indoor/Outdoor Fabric Line by Schumacher:






collage created by chelsea murray


Visit Schumacher Trina Turk Collection to see this wonderful fabric line.


One of my favorite design icons is, Kelly Wearstler. Interior Designer, Kelly Wearstler, was the designer behind the LA and Palm Springs Trina Turk boutiques. They are amazing! Kelly Wearstler truly brought out the style and flair of each city, but also captured the Trina Turk panache. Kelly Wearstler has some great books and has designed some of my favorite spaces. She is pretty much my idol and I strive to be like her someday. I will be talking about her in a post to come. So more on Kelly later.


Kelly Wearstler

Palms Springs Trina Turk Boutique designed by Kelly Wearstler:








I love the minimalist look (only) in this particular space. Normally I am not a fan. However, this interior truly brings out the spirit of Palm Springs in the 1960's where our good friend, Frank Sinatra, had a home. Palm Springs in those days was a thriving Mecca for hot celebs to retreat to get away from their busy LA lifestyle. Wearstler uses retro- inspired pieces such as the tables and light fixtures used. I can appreciate these lattice-garden chairs. They remind me of a chair you would find in a 1960's sun room or outdoors. The space is glamorous yet true to the retro charm of the desert in the 1960's.

Los Angeles Trina Turk Boutique designed by Kelly Wearstler:





The LA boutique is so Chic. As most people know, I am a sucker for coral. I love how they applied the coral on stainless steel modern chairs. I love the simple glamour the space provides. It's sleek yet elegant. I love the light fixtures, they are a stunning focal point.  The gold gilded accents and mirrors provides the space with a vanity type feel, it is so girly...I love it.  The soft walls, with a unique display at your feet with an distinctively-shaped ceramic tile and shagged areas rugs gives the space a textural elegance.

I am sooo excited about Trina's Fall collections! Here's a sneak peak on what's falling your way...


Thanks TT for your amazing work as a designer. I give you my praises!

pictures via trinaturk.com